Monday, April 25, 2011

Prague!

The rain can dampen our clothes and make my hair frizzy but it can't dampen our spirits in the amazing city of...Prague!! Upon arrival we comenced our second wave of feeding frenzy (the first was in Italy). All we have done since our night train pulled in this morning is eat vast amounts of carnie food sold on the street for easter celebrations. We're talking meat cooked over an open wood fire, chocolate dipped strawberries on a stick, and roasted nuts. Mmmmm. That's just a sampling of the things we've eaten. If we told you everything you might be disgusted with us....enough about food though! The city is beautiful and full of energy and hordes of people. We thought budapest might be full of easter celebrations, but it was pretty quiet for such a big city.Turns out the party was here! We did enjoy many things in Budapest, though. The thermal baths, sightseeing, and the english movie theater. We enjoyed the movie theater so much we went two days in a row, to see "Source Code" and "Unknown". You may think its crazy to go see movies on a european vaction, but we needed a break...and it was so nice after being deprived of american entertainment for a month. I'm not down playing all of our amazing experiences, just saying it was a nice addition to our travels. Don't judge, okay! :)

P.S. Thanks for all of your ideas. We have narrowed it down to Belgium, Germany, and Switzerland. I think there is some more narrowing down to do. Let's be honest, we only have six days...Budapest Parliment building.
Fisherman's Bastion- One of our favorite places in Budapest.
The thermal baths. The four men near the railing, sufferring from the beginning stages of skin cancer are playing chess while soaking in the bath. Looks like this game has lasted for a really long time, judging by the brown crispiness....
Snack food at the movie theater. Just like home!
Eden was on the top bunk during our night train ride. Much better than the other night train where we didn't have beds. However, the four star hotel we stayed in the night before was miles above this. (It was cheaper at the hotel too!)
Eden enjoying an elevated experience.
Hey look, I'm there too!
Rain gear, the first time in a month that we have had to bust it out. No complaints though, it was only one day out of thirty.
Apparently I'm a tough looking hombre in sepia. Thats what keeps Eden coming back for more, me, in sepia.

The last thing we ate before going to bed, and a definite repeat on tomorrow's list of amazingly good food we will be consuming.

6 comments:

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

No judgment here. I could not last that long without American entertainment. I totally understand.

The food looks and sounds so tasty.

You do look tough in sepia. Maybe we can find a way to make you that color all the time. Jaundice, maybe?:)

Unknown said...

Homeys - I think it's great to watch movies in foreign countries. It's kind of like being back home for a couple hours and it magnifies the awesomeness of American culture like 20 times (30 times if you're eating McDonalds and wearing an American flag shirt while watching the movie!!).

Don't get me wrong - you know me, I'm all about appreciating other cultures and have traveled my fair share. But there's nothing like watching "Live Free Or Die Hard" in a Finnish movie theater or "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" in an Indian hostel to remind you that America is pretty cool too! It's kind of like comfort food.

So here's a fun fact: A friend of mine bicycled through Tibet with his wife two years ago and was telling us that whenever any Tibetan villagers found out they were American they would go crazy cause they absolutely loved.... Allen Iverson! Yep, that's right - not Richard Gere or other celebrities touting their cause but Allen freaking Iverson. They would all show off their downloaded pictures of A.I. on their cellphones. Apparently, he's got some Tibetan tattoos on his arm and they love it. (He probably has no idea about them)
The only TV they show over there is 10 channels of China-owned propaganda but one channel is devoted to basketball (because China loves Yao Ming) - so it's the only one that Tibetans can stomach. But that's a lot of their exposure to A.I. (2 yrs ago at least). I thought that was kind of funny. My buddy also said that Pakistanis loved American rap and were all obsessed about the rap feud between
G-Unit and Game.

Anyway, that was a bit long - now get back to taking more sexy sepia shots!

Anne said...

Those strawberries looked yummy and the photo's were great. If you go to Belgium the town of Brugge is a great place to visit.

Eden said...

We did eat at Mcdonalds, Justin. Right before both movies. And it was delicious.

Betsy Boop said...

Hey, I just got caught up on your blog. Looks like an amazing time....good for you :)

Betsy

Naomi said...

I don't know how I missed your blogs from wed/thurs. I THOUGHT I had been checking everyday. Ugh! Anyway, everything looks beautiful and super yummy! Those strawberries look heavenly! I can't believe you are back in just 6 days. Let me know when I need to pick you up from the airport. I've missed you tons (and I can't wait for my Cinnabon(s)!! Hopefully the plural! Hehe).

P.S. I loved Germany, Switzerland and Belgium so I don't really think you can go wrong.

P.P.S. Glad you enjoyed a little American entertainment and food. I LOVE movie popcorn.